Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Fluffy Diner-Style Omelet

Fluffy Diner-Style Omelet - The Cozy Nook

I thought I found the ultimate omelet recipe when my friend shared her method with me a few years ago. I still use that omelet technique.

However, the other day, we watched an episode of Cooks Country where they made a fluffy diner-style omelet. My kids really wanted me to try to make it for breakfast the next morning, so (twist my arm) I did.

This omelet is fluffy, has a pancake-like texture, and really is just plain delicious! If you like omelets or want a creative breakfast, try this recipe.

Fluffy Diner-Style Omelet
Original Recipe from Cooks Country
Printable Version

3 Tablespoons heavy cream
5 eggs
1/4 t salt
2 T butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
filling: meat and vegetables of your choice, cooked ahead of time

First make your filling. Cook and saute the meat and/or vegetables of your choice. I followed the example from the Cooks Country show and made a sausage, onion, and red pepper filling.

Preheat oven to 400 with oven rack in middle position.

Beat cream with an electric mixer on high until whipped, with soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Set aside.

Beat eggs and salt on high in a clean bowl until frothy and tripled in size, about 2 minutes.

Gently fold whipped cream into eggs.

Melt butter in a 10 to 12 inch ovensafe skillet over medium-low/medium heat, making sure the bottom and sides are coated. Add egg mixture and half of the filling and cook until the bottom and edges are set, about 2 to 3 minutes. Check the underside by lifting the omelet edge with a spatula.

Transfer pan to the oven and bake until the omelet is set and the edges are beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with remaining half of filling and the cheese. Let sit for a minute. Then fold omelet in half (either in the pan or slide the omelet out first onto a cutting board).

Cut into desired amount of servings and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment