Friday, May 4, 2012

Deposits and Withdrawals: The Essence of Relationships?

“If you allow people to make more withdrawals than deposits in your life, you will be out of balance and in the negative!
Know when to close the account.”

This is the quote I came across on Pinterest recently.  When I first read it, my heart resounded an “AMEN”, and I nearly repinned it.  Most of us will probably react that way at first when we read this statement. 

However, when I thought about it some more, I realized that this statement really isn’t what Jesus teaches us.  I love to hear quotes like the above because it protects me.  It helps me not be so vulnerable.  It helps me to worry about myself more than others. 

Jesus, on the other hand, said things like:

“Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant…For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:43-35)

 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.  (Luke 6:32-36)

I understand that we are human and sometimes need to get ourselves out of hurtful, damaging relationships.

I also realize, though, that God calls us
to a greater love than a relationship ledger requires.

Have you been keeping a ledger of your relationships?
Have you been keeping track of the deposits and withdrawals?
Are you giving more then you are receiving and decided that you should just “take the backseat” for a while in the relationship to see if the other person will step up to the plate?

God wants us to have servants’ hearts… giving hearts…
forgiving hearts… loving hearts… proactive hearts.

In order to do that, we need His grace to fill us each day afresh!  We can not do this in our own strength.

May we have the ability to love as God loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment